Dr. Shalini Kapoor Kad
April 27, 2011
A homoeopathic paediatrician, a counselling expert and a freelance writer are a few words to describe my profession. My sole aim is to put forth practical piece of information that guides every one right in the direction, blending the medicos to a layman with a simple gesture to make the medical things a little less convoluted and comprehendible.
Diabetes is one of the most common metabolic disease in which the body system fails to process extra amount of sugar. It is a condition when glucose level increases in the body and not processed properly. It could be dangerous if a person take it carelessly. In simple words, diabetes disease symbolizes the condition of high blood sugar levels, which is the result of dysfunction of insulin secretion. However, diabetes and vision has some relation due to which people suffer from diabetes encounter vision problem.
Uncontrolled and untreated diabetes could lead various chronic complications. These complications may be acute or long term. Long term complications are heart problems, high blood pressure problem, vision issues, blindness, kidney failure, diarrhea, constipation, and many more.
Vision problem is one of the major long term complications of the diabetes. This problem is caused by the relation of diabetes and vision. Apparently, prolonged untreated diabetes could make you blind. It basically damages retina of the eye and known as “Diabetic Retinopathy”.
In this critical condition, the tiny vessels in eye are affected and the arteries supplying blood to the retina turn narrow and vein will be enlarged. It is an extreme critical and chronic condition of the eye. Therefore, it is recommended that diagnose your diabetes and get relieved otherwise, your eyes will be damaged due to diabetes.
Earlier Symptoms of Diabetic Retinopathy:
The most common symptom of eye problem due to diabetes is blurred vision. High sugar level changes the shape and size of lens of the eyes that creates blurred vision.
- Double Vision – It is another symptom, which shows that diabetes and vision are related. If the diabetes is left untreated then your eyes will be the target. Double vision means the patient will see two things instead of a singleton.
- Cloudy vision – Patient suffering from diabetic retinopathy will have cloudy vision problem arising due to swelling and cloudy depositions at the retina.
- Blurred vision– Person will be disabled to view things clearly and feel trouble to identify things indeed.
However, the best thing to prevent this problem is to control the diabetes properly. Diagnose your diabetes at initial stage and pursue proper medication. In case, a person encounters diabetic retinopathy problem, there are two imperative treatments available depending on the severity of the problem.
- Laser Surgery – Doctors choose this option to burn off the bleeding and save the vision via laser surgery. It is an instant treatment and patient will get rid of the vision problem caused by the diabetes and vision interrelated connection.
- Vitrectomy – This treatment is done to restore the vision in the eye caused by the opacity or vitreous bleed.
- Ensure proper control over your diabetes and blood sugar level. Prevention is always better than cure. So, try to avoid further progression of this problem by controlling your diabetes.
- Schedule check of your eyes to ensure that your eyes are not affected by the diabetes. You need to make sure that you are completely out of the possibilities to get affected by diabetes.
In this way, you can save yourself from the problems caused due to diabetes in terms of vision.